So last night I couldn't fall asleep.. I had a really strong urge to write this out... I legit couldn't sleep til I did.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
11:10 - 11-45p.m
So tonight I babysat Arianna... It was interesting...
While I was making dinner Arianna was gonna help but then she came over and touched the hot food, barely missing the really hot pan. I immediately took her hand and asked her to stay back from the stove. But she reached for it again, so I gently pulled her away and knelt down in front of her, trying to meet her eyes, again asking for her to leave the stove alone. But she immediately threw herself backwards, yelling for me to not touch her and to leave her alone. I had to hold onto her other wise she would ram into the base of the cabinets in the kitchen. I was like "Arianna, please listen to me, that burner is really hot and can really hurt you!" All the while she was whining loudly and trying to pull herself away from me to go to the forbidden stove. It really shook me, and kinda scared me. She yelled at me that I was no longer her friend and that I needed to leave her alone. I replied "Arianna, I don't need to be your friend right now, I need to keep you safe because I love you," She didn't like that very much. While I was in the middle of this I heard God say "Pay attention, What can you learn from this?" I was like, "I just want her to stop! It isn't safe! She won't listen to me, why doesn't she understand? I want to help her! But all she wants is what can harm her!" I didn't understand what God was asking me.
Then later on she was hitting her brothers when asked to go on time out again for doing something that wasn't good. Then when asked to sit, she ran away to the living room. I followed her and looked at her for a moment and asked if she would go back to the time out spot. She told me that I was no longer her friend and to leave her alone. So I had to pick her up and bring her back to the time out spot, all the while she was hitting me. I got her to the timeout spot where her older brother took over. I watched as he tried to get her to listen to him, all the while staying calm, and no matter how loud she got, he kept the same quiet, patient voice. But she would have none of him. She was slamming her hands onto cabinet doors and yelling and calling her brothers stupid when they added another minute to her time out, over and over again and telling them that they were no longer her friends also. Her brother replied, "Arianna, I don't need to be your friend, I'm your brother, I need to keep you safe, and right now you aren't being safe, you need to calm down." When she told him that she didn't want that he looked at her and said, "I'm sorry, but I have to." Later on, once he had gotten her to sit still and listen to him calmly she looked up into his face and was like, "Mikey? Will you still be my friend?" He replied "Arianna, I will always be your friend and your brother. I don't like adding the minutes but if it helps keep you safe, I will do it."
Through all of her struggles I felt like God was saying "Look at her, does she remind you of anyone? Fighting blindly against the care and love so blatantly in front of her, even if she knows it is for her own good. You are like her, throwing yourself at what will harm you. I'm holding you back because I love you. No matter what you say or do, no matter how hard you storm and rage against me, I will always be your Father. I will keep you safe, safe from yourself, you may not understand why it has to be one way, but it does. I will hold you, I will love you, no matter what you say or try to do, eventually you will see. Until you come to fully appriciate it, I'll hold onto you and keep telling you I love you. I will never let you go."
1 comment:
Wow! I love this! Such a great reminder of God's love. Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment