Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Untitled Pt 8

Forty-five minutes later they arrived at the apartment and went inside. Jaedon dropped onto the couch and took off the sweatshirt, allowing his wings to open. Kayla smiled and continued in, putting the blankets away and the empty thermos's into the sink. That done she also sat down on the couch a little bit apart from him. She could feel his eyes on her and she wondered what he was thinking. After a moment she looked at him.
"Did you have fun up there?" she asked. He nodded.
"Yes, thank you Kayla," he smiled at her. She smiled back and looked away.
"Your welcome."
Kayla looked at her watch and yawned. Then she looked back at Jaedon, he seemed to be lost in thought. She studied him then smiled and got up. She went into her room and got her sketch book then went back and sat down.
"What are you thinking about?" she asked as she flipped open the sketch book to the page she had been drawing on before. Jaedon glanced at her then back at the wall.
"Nothing," he said softly.
"Right," she replied sarcastically. He smiled slightly.
"Fine, I was remembering the lab where I was for so long," he said, his voice low. Kayla nodded.
"Do you remember much from it?" she asked. He shrugged.
"Not really, I just know I have been there a really long time," he said. She nodded her eyes fixed on the drawing as it appeared from her pencil tip.
"All I have are random flashes if memory, nothing lasting longer than a couple scenes in my head. I remember seeing the scientist breifly, but the rest of the memories, I can't see anything in them, I only hear people talking around me, and then it all goes black again. I flew once, but I still was unable to see, and I was only awake for maybe twenty minutes, and then I was unconscious again. That day didn't end well, they almost killed me. All is black in my memories, until one memory," he paused. Kayla looked up from her drawing and looked at him.
"What memory?" she asked softly. He turned to look at her and smiled.
"When I woke up and for the first time in to long, I could open my eyes," he said. She smiled and looked back at the drawing. He looked at his hands. Kayla held the drawing away from her and smiled, satisfied with it. He looked up at her and tried to crane his head around to see it. She saw him trying to see it and flipped it around and handed the sketch pad to him. He took it and looked at it silently for a long moment. He looked back up at Kayla.
"Thats me?" he asked. She nodded.
"What do you think?" she asked. He nodded.
"It's really good. I like it," he said. She smiled and sat back. He handed the sketch pad back to her. Kayla took it and closed it. She yawned again and checked her watch.
"Hey, I'm gonna go to bed," Kayla said standing and stretching. Jaedon nodded.
"G'night," he said running a hand over his face. He had a slight headache and decided to go to bed as well.

The next morning Jaedon woke earlier than Kayla again and he lay there for a while, then he got up and changed into some of the clothes Kayla had gotten him the day before. He left his shirt off as he went into the kitchen, carrying it, looking for scissors to cut slits into the fabric. He dug around in the drawer he had seen her take the scissors out of until he found them. He cut into the fabric carefully then pulled the shirt on. He looked around the kitchen and decided to make breakfast again. He rummaged around in the cabinets and fridge. As he found something to cook he rubbed his temples, his head pounded and he felt a little weird. He ignored the head ache and continued making breakfast. Kayla came out a couple minutes later, she stretched and mumbled something. He turned to her with an easy grin.
"Good Morning," he said, he blinked rapidly and shook his head slightly. Kayla didn't notice as she stumbled across to the coffee maker and poured herself some coffee. She retreated out of his way to the doorway again. She frowned when he steadied himself with a hand on the counter, slightly bent over.
"Jaedon? Are you alright?" she asked. He stood straight and stepped away from the counter. He nodded but his face was ashen and his hands were shaking. His face contorted with pain and he fell to his side. Kayla dropped her mug onto the counter next to her and dropped to her knees next to Jaedon. She put a hand to his forehead then looked him over. He was shaking.
"Jaedon? Whats wrong?" she asked. He shrugged through his vibrating, not saying anything. His breath came in juddering gasps, occasionally his face twitched in pain. Kayla picked him up and carried him to his room and laid him on the bed. She was struck again at how light he was. She quickly left the room again and got a bowl of water and cloth. She went back to the room and sat on the bed next to him and put the cloth on his forehead. His head moved back and forth restlessly, face shiny with sweat. Kayla looked at him miserably, not knowing what was wrong with him and not knowing how to help. His face contorted with pain and he brought his knees up almost to his chest. Kayla didn't know what to do for him, there were no outward wounds that she could help, and she didn't think she should take him the doctors. She didn't know how she would explain why there was no record of him, or why Jaedon had wings. She went out of the room again and brought a chair to the bedside and sat down in it. She brought her knees up to her chest and wrapped her arms around her knees. She thought of the tranqs and bit her lip. She was almost afraid to administer anything to him, not knowing if it could make him worse. She got up suddenly and went into the bathroom medicine cabinet and pulled out some Ibuprofen she read the back of the bottle and popped the top off. Shaking a few pills out into her hand she went into the kitchen and poured a glass of water. She went back into the bedroom and sat down again. Jaedon's eyes were tightly shut and his face gray with pain.
"Jaedon," she said. His chest heaving with every breath, he slowly turned his head and looked at her. He was still shaking, and occasionally his face twitched with pain.
"Can you take some pills? You'll have to drinks something though," she said. He nodded shortly. He reached up a shaking hand but Kayla shook her head and put the pills into his hand. He quickly put the pills into his mouth and she put the glass to his lips. He tipped his head up an drank carefully and Kayla saw his Adam's apple bob as he swallowed the pills. He dropped his head back down to the pillow and gave a quiet groan. He closed his eyes and grimaced as another spasm of pain wracked his body.
"Those might help," she said, worry made creases in her forehead and shone from her eyes. He nodded slightly through his shaking.
"K-Kayla... whatever happens.. don't bring me back.." Jaedon gasped. Kayla frowned.
"Back where?" she asked.
"T-The scientists," he said and shuddered through another spasm of pain.
"I-I, but, what if they could help?" she asked, she had just been thinking about whether or not she should take him back, the thought made his shudder, she didn't know if she could.
"N-no, I.. I can't go back there," he said. Kayla nodded and bit her lip. She hurt to watch him like this and she didn't want to continue to see it. As another spasm went through him, he suddenly went limp. Kayla shook his shoulder, trying to wake him, when he didn't she checked his pulse. His heart was pounding and his breath still came fast, but he had passed out from the overload of pain.
End of Part 8

2 comments:

Lauren said...

I'm sitting here waiting in anticipation of pt 9!!!!!!! when will i be able to read it?!

Rachael said...

haha! Lol, anticipation is good! ;)
I post a part every month.. so September some time is when you will be able to read moooore! :) I'm glad it's making you want to read more. :D that's always a good thing!