Thursday, May 13, 2010

Untitled Pt 5

Kayla went back into her room and sat down at the computer. She got up a new tab and checked her email. There was one from her mom. She clicked it to open it.
Hey Kayla,
Mom here (and Tom! Hi!) We are doing a family trip and coming around where you live, the kids and I are wondering if we can stop by and see you! I know your apartment is to small to house us all but can we come and see you?
Hope you are doing well!
Love,
Mom

Kayla's eyes widened. Crud, how do I not tell them about him? she wondered. He really needs a name, she looked down at the piece of paper. Jaedon, huh, that fits him, I wonder if he will choose it. She looked back at the screen and the email from her mom. She sighed and rested her elbow on the desk and put her chin in her hands. She hit the reply button.

Hey Mom (and Tom)
That's cool you guys are doing a family trip, did Dad get work off?
About you guys coming

She stopped typing. She couldn't really tell them no without them getting suspicious. But she really didn't want them asking questions about him. She bit her lip then began typing again.

I would love to see you again, wanna go out somewhere? Maybe dinner? I would like to have you guys here but the landlords really don't like it if I have a bunch of people running around up here, (That wasn't a lie, she had gotten in trouble before about that) So going out for a day might be better. Tell me what works for you people!
See you soon!
Love,
Kayla

She sat back and sent the letter. She blew out her cheeks, hoping that her mom would rather go out some where. She yawned and looked at the time. 1 a.m?? crud, glad I don't have work tomorrow! She thought. She signed out but left the name search up. She turned the monitor off and changed into pajamas and turned off the light. She laid there on the bed, her mind racing with all the events of the day. She wondered how much trouble she would be in if she was ever found out. After a while her eyes drifted shut.

People were near him, two of them, he could hear them breathing. He couldn't move, his wings were confined, he couldn't say anything, he couldn't open his eyes. No! what is happening?! He cried in his mind. He flinched as someone felt his shoulder, then his arm, then his side, then around to do the same on the other side.
"What's this one's name?" the man touching him asked.
"Experiment Nine, why?"
"No, his real name,"
"He doesn't have one, his mother didn't leave a name when she dropped him at the orphanage, hence Experiment Nine," there was a long pause.
"He's not as bad as your last one," the person touching him commented. Someone to his right snorted.
"Thanks," they said sarcastically. "Will you take him?"
"How much do you want for him?" The first person asked. His breath came fast and his body shook, he couldn't stop himself. The person on his right came closer, he could feel the heat of the person's body. He flinched as a needle was inserted into his shoulder. He felt the liquid spread through his shoulder and down his arm. The shaking subsided.
"How much are you willing to pay?" the man on his right asked.
"A couple thousand," came the reply.
"Alright, I have to work out some kinks in him, then we can talk," the man on his right said.
"No!" He cried, sitting up sharply, breathing heavily, sweat drenched his chest and back. He looked around, he was still in Kayla's apartment, no one was around him, he could see and open his mouth. He drew his knees up to his chest and rested his arms on them and buried his face in his hands. His body trembled. It was just a nightmare. But it was a nightmare from the past that had happened. It was a memory. What kinks? He wondered suddenly. He drew in a shaky breath and looked up again. He laid back down but was afraid to shut his eyes. He looked at the clock beside his head. The red numbers read four a.m. He rolled over again and faced the window. He wanted to use his wings and fly higher than he had ever been able to at the lab that one time. He closed his eyes recalling the memory.

"I have made his bones hollow, like a birds, and his metabolism is much faster so he burns calories faster therefore he has no extra body fat. He is much lighter than an average human his age, so he can fly longer and further with out it totally exhausting him. He probably weighs roughly one forty. I have also altered his hearing so he can hear more than an average human. "
"Take him out and test him then."
He had been blind and unable to speak, but someone had put him into a chair of some sorts, his wings were still restrained and they tied his wrists the the chairs arms and his ankles were cuffed to the chair. The person had wheeled him into an enclosed area where he sensed that there were a couple more people, and he had felt himself being borne upwards. He had heard doors opening and wind rushed into where they were, it had run through his hair and around his body and then away again. They had freed him and stood him up and undid the straps binding his wings and ordered him to fly. Before he could have taken off the person had snapped something around his neck.
"You will be able to hear our orders through that. Do what we tell you. If you try to fly to high or try to fly to far out of view, this will send a charge of electricity through you that will drop you like a stone, so don't try anything," they had said. He had breathed in the fresh air. A tremor of excitement had run through his body. He could tell he was high up. Someone shoved him and he was falling suddenly. With a cry he had snapped his wings out. Pumping them hard he was borne up. He had felt the wind in his face as he had maneuvered about as the people below had ordered.
"Experiment Nine, come back now," came the order. He hadn't wanted to listen. He had know as soon as he came down he wouldn't get this chance again. He had flown higher. His body tensed and he lost control of his wings as a charge of electricity had slammed through his body.

End of Part 5

3 comments:

Katie S. said...

Rachael! Yet another amazing post... I love this story :-) I miss you! Hope to see you at Brendan's graduation party?? :-)

Rachael said...

hey!
thanks! I'm glad you do!! :)
I miss you also!

umm maybe? I don't know.. I don't know if we have been invited.. :P but I'm not usually on the inside of the info going around the house.. lol

Katie said...

Haha yeah I know what you mean... Happens to me all the time! They might not have sent out invitations yet... I think they just told us the date. :) Sooo no worries. :) lol Hope to see you then... tell everyone I said hi!